Mary Myers’ 2004 First Place Apple Pie Recipe
This recipe took home first place in 2004. As delicious today as it was then!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup Crisco
- 1/4 cup melted ice water with 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar added
- Toss flour, salt, and sugar with a pastry blender.
- Mix Crisco with a pastry blender into pea sized shapes.
- Sprinkle with ice water and gather dough with a fork until all is mixed.
- Form into two evenly shaped balls.
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- Add 6 cups of peeled, thinly sliced McIntosh apples (6 heaping cups).
- Pour apple mixture into bottom pie crust.
- Dot with 1 Tablespoon butter.
- Add top crust.
- Brush with milk, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut vents into top crust.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce to 350 degrees for an additional 25 minutes or until golden brown.