Monique’s World Famous Apple Dumpling Recipe
These apple dumplings are world famous for a reason. Make this recipe for your gang tonight!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 to 10 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 medium whole apples pared and cored
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine sugar, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, food coloring; bring to boiling. Add butter.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening.
- Add milk all at once and stir just until flour is moistened.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out 1/8 inch thick until it's an 18 x 12 inch rectangle.
- Cut with knife or pastry wheel into 6 squares.
- Place 1 whole apple into each square.
- Sprinkle each apple generously with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; dot with butter.
- Moisten edges of squares.
- Fold corners to center and pinch edges together.
- Place 1 inch apart in ungreased 11 x 7 x 1 1/2 inch baking pan.
- Pour syrup over dumplings; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until apples are done.
- Serve warm with cream.